Penn women's basketball's Roche and Ross earn honors for weekend performances

It was a strong week on the court for Penn women’s basketball, which picked up a pair of impressive road victories over Dartmouth and Harvard. And news for the program off the court was arguably just as strong.

Senior guard Kathleen Roche and freshman guard Anna Ross both received accolades for their weekend efforts, being named Co-Ivy League Player of the Week and Big 5 Player of the Week, respectively.

Roche has been a consummate veteran for the Red and Blue all season, stepping up to the challenge of being one of the team’s top leaders and playmakers. This past weekend was no different, as the captain notched a total of 27 points and 11 rebounds in the two road victories. The scoring burst pushed Roche’s scoring average to 9.2 points per game, good for second on the team.

Though Roche paradoxically did not also win the Big 5 honor, Ross was certainly a deserving recipient. The freshman scored 19 of her 26 weekend points in Saturday’s win in Cambridge, including a perfect six-for-six performance from the free throw line in the final two minutes. Ross has filled the point guard slot admirably through the first half of the season, dishing out a team-high 58 assists.

Roche and Ross will look to defend their honors as the Quakers return home to the Palestra this weekend. Cornell will come to town on Friday night before Columbia makes the trip down I-95 on Saturday evening.