Penn women's basketball's Nwokedi takes home Ivy Rookie of Week

While it might not have been the weekend Penn women’s basketball had hoped for, freshman forward Michelle Nwokedi stood tall in her first career start and earned Ivy League Rookie of the Week for the third time this season.

The Missouri City, Texas, native put up double-doubles in both of her games this weekend as the Quakers split games with Cornell and Columbia. Nwokedi averaged 15.0 points, 11.5 rebounds and 5.0 blocks on the weekend, while shooting over 50 percent from the field.

Nwokedi had previously won the award on Dec. 1 and Jan. 26, while also being named Eastern College Athletic Conference South Co-Rookie of the Week on Dec. 1. She is Penn’s second player to be named Ivy League Rookie of the Week this season, as Anna Ross earned the honor earlier in the season.

Nwokedi started the first game of her career in Penn’s win over Columbia and responded well, posting a career-high in points and blocks with 19 and seven respectively. Her seven blocks is tied fourth-most in school history behind three games from then-freshman Sydney Stipanovich last season.

Last season, Stipanovich was named Ivy League Rookie of the Week eight times en route to a unanimous selection as Ivy League Rookie of the Year.

Nwokedi started the season slow, but has steadily been earning more and more playing time culminating in her move into the starting lineup on Saturday. For the season, the freshman is averaging 6.9 points, 5.9 rebounds and 1.8 blocks in just 13.5 minutes per game.

Despite playing very few minutes, Nwokedi ranks second on the team in rebounds and blocks and fourth in points. After Saturday’s successful performance, the freshman could be seeing starts down the stretch for the Quakers as they battle through the rest of their Ivy League slate.