A weekend full of honors for Penn basketball

As Penn students made their way back to campus this week, some highly impressive hardcourt performances awaited them at the Palestra.

Women’s basketball’s Sydney Stipanovich was named Ivy League Player of the Week after an utterly dominant 19-point, 13-rebound performance in a 49-47 win over Richmond on Wednesday. The performance was the sophomore’s fifth double-double and second Player of the Week nod of the season.

Stipanovich sparked a comeback for the Quakers with four minutes to go with the team trailing the Spiders by four. The sophomore poured in six straight points and assisted on Anna Ross’ game-winning three-pointer.

The men’s squad was also a beneficiary of a similarly dominant individual performance. Guard Antonio Woods was named Ivy Rookie of the Week after a breakout performance in Saturday’s close defeat to No. 5 Villanova in which he paced the team with 18 points. The freshman also chipped in seven points and four rebounds in Tuesday’s road win over Niagara.

Adding to the Quakers accolades, junior guard Tony Hicks was named to the Ivy Weekly Honor Roll after racking up 18 points at Niagara and adding eight against Villanova.