Ivy basketball roundup: Jan. 26

Yale

Record: 13-6 (2-0 Ivy) (t-1st)

What they’ve done: The Bulldogs are owners of the Ancient Eight’s most impressive nonconference victory to date, as they took down defending national champion UConn on Dec. 7. The Elis have dipped into league play in their last two games, both victories over last-place Brown.

What’s Next: Though it’s strange to see a squad besides Harvard at the top of the Ivy standings, the Bulldogs have looked very strong through the first half of their season. Look for leadership from senior guard Javier Duren and junior forward Justin Sears as Yale enters the thick of its conference schedule.

Princeton

Record: 8-9 (1-0 Ivy) (2nd)

What they’ve done: Despite the lofty place in the standings, the Tigers have looked decidedly average in the early going. The squad has failed to register any impressive nonconference victories and was gifted its only league victory thus far at home when Penn struggled mightily down the stretch.

What’s Next: Despite the lackluster start to the season, Princeton still boasts a perfect Ivy record. Look for junior forward Hans Brase (12.2 points, 7.4 rebounds per game) to be the team’s leader as the Tigers head into a critical matchup with Harvard at home on Friday.

Harvard

Record: 11-5 (1-1 Ivy) (t-3rd)

What they’ve done: The class of the Ancient Eight in recent years, Harvard has looked uncharacteristically beatable over the first half of the season. After entering the season nationally ranked at no. 25, the Crimson have suffered ugly defeats to Holy Cross, Virginia and Dartmouth.

What’s Next: Although the Crimson have looked unworthy on their preseason national attention in the early going, the firepower of guards Wesley Saunders and Siyani Chambers should allow Harvard fans to rest easier down the stretch. Tommy Amaker’s squad is still the favorites to win their fifth consecutive Ivy title.

Columbia

Record: 9-7 (1-1 Ivy) (t-3rd)

What they’ve done: Despite the preseason loss of 2013-14 leading scorer Alex Rosenberg, the Lions have been able to tread water thus far this year, even coming close to a massive upset of No. 1 Kentucky on Dec. 10. The Lions have split their conference games, both versus Cornell.

What’s Next: Junior guard Maodo Lo will look to build on his team-leading 15.8 PPG as the Lions face a major test against Ivy leader Yale this Friday.

Cornell

Record: 9-9 (1-1 Ivy) (t-3rd)

What they’ve done: The team from Ithaca has had mixed results in the first half of the season, dropping a disappointing home game to St. Peter’s on Dec. 28 before notching a solid road victory over Columbia on Jan. 24.

What’s Next: After last season’s 2-26 debacle, Cornell will likely be pleased with this season’s return to respectability thanks to the return of senior forward Shonn Miller, who missed last season with a shoulder injury. Look for the Big Red to hang around the middle of the Ivy standings as the season progresses.

Dartmouth

Record: 8-8 (1-1 Ivy) (t-3rd)

What they’ve done: In the midst of an otherwise middling season, the Big Green pulled off the Ivy League’s most impressive in-conference victory to date, taking down Harvard on the road last Saturday.

What’s Next: That victory in Cambridge proved that Dartmouth can hang with anyone in the Ancient Eight. Look for junior guard Alex Mitola and his team-high 14.3 PPG to continue to catalyze the Big Green offense.

Brown

Record: 9-10 (0-2 Ivy) (8th)

What they’ve done: Despite a relatively weak nonconference schedule, the Bears have collected some impressive wins, including a 77-67 win at Providence on Dec. 8.

What’s Next: Two early losses to first-place Yale have put Brown in an early conference hole, but sophomore forward Leland King’s 14.6 PPG should help the Bears claw back to the middle of the Ivy pack. Although the sophomore missed the team’s second matchup against Yale, the Bears still fought to a four-point loss.