Ivy League Soccer Roundup: Nov. 3

Men’s Soccer

Penn draws Brown, 1-1, on Homecoming

In a match with huge Ivy League implications, Penn men’s soccer (8-7-2, 2-1-2 Ivy) played to a draw with Brown (4-5-6, 1-2-2). Junior goalkeeper Max Polkinhorne had a stellar performance with eight saves — six in the second half. Senior Duke Lacroix recorded the only tally for the Quakers in the 19th minute while sophomore forward Will Cross scored for the Bears to tie the game. With two matches remaining against league-leading Princeton and third-place Harvard, the Quakers will look to move up from their current position — tied with Harvard for third.

Columbia takes down last-place Yale, 2-1

It looked like Yale (1-11-3, 0-4-1) had all the momentum when sophomore defender Henry Flugstad-Clarke tied the match for the Bulldogs with five minutes remaining. However, a somewhat questionable penalty call in the box spoiled the comeback for Yale. With two minutes remaining, Columbia (6-6-1, 2-1-1) took the lead on junior midfielder Antonio Matarazzo’s successful penalty shot. The loss keeps Yale winless in Ivy play.

Harvard draws first-place Dartmouth, 1-1

In a matchup between top conference contenders, the score did not reflect the game. Despite the draw, the Big Green (9-4-2, 3-1-1) outplayed the Crimson (9-4-2, 2-1-2), outshooting Harvard 12-1 on the night, including a few shots off the crossbar in overtime. Nevertheless, Harvard’s one score and strong defense kept the team in the match, making things interesting in the Ivy League race as the top five teams are within three points of one another.

Princeton beats Cornell, 2-1

Princeton’s late heroics matched those of Columbia-Yale. The Tigers (8-3-3, 3-1-1) and the Big Red (9-5-1, 2-3-0) stayed close for almost all of regulation. However, Princeton, now tied for the Ivy League lead, scored the winning goal in the 88th minute of the contest off the foot of senior defender Andrew Mills. Looking ahead, Princeton takes on rival Penn in a matchup with major Ivy League implications.

Women’s Soccer

Penn beats Brown on Senior Day, 2-0

Playing in their final home game on Saturday, the seniors of Penn women’s soccer (7-5-3, 2-3-1) went out in brilliant fashion against Brown (6-7-3, 1-3-2). The Quakers took the field with high energy and enthusiasm from the beginning. Only five minutes into the match, senior forward Clara Midgley netted a goal off an assist by freshman forward Juliana Provini. In the 40th minute, senior Kaitlyn Moore extended the lead for the Red and the Blue, sending a beautiful shot off her left foot just inside the far post. All six seniors — Haley Cooper, Lauren Hammond, Nikoletta Georgalis, Katherine Myhre, Midgely and Moore — were honored before the game.

Dartmouth takes down Harvard, 2-0

Dartmouth (7-4-4, 3-0-3) stayed hot, winning their fourth straight with a shutout of league-leading and defending Ivy League champion Harvard (9-4-2, 4-1-1). Junior forward Corey Delaney led the way for the Big Green, scoring two goals in the upset. The outcome makes things interesting in Ivy League play as Dartmouth and Harvard are separated by only one point with one game remaining. Harvard controls its own destiny, but Dartmouth undoubtedly has the momentum.

Columbia finishes in scoreless draw with Yale

Columbia (7-3-6, 2-2-1) and Yale (7-4-4, 1-1-3) played to a rare nil-nil draw after 110 minutes of play. The defensive battle that took place on a windy, rain-soaked afternoon was rather uneventful. Overall, the game was evenly matched with both teams taking 11 shots; however, the Bulldogs failed to convert on any of their 12 corner kicks.

Princeton beats Cornell, 2-1

Princeton women’s soccer (6-5-3, 3-2-1) rebounded after last week’s disappointing loss to Harvard with a 2-1 victory over Cornell (7-9-0, 1-4-0). The victory brings the Tigers into sole possession of third place, three points behind league-leading Harvard with one game to play. Cornell, on the other hand, remains an Ivy League bottom-feeder with only one win on the season. Princeton will look to finish the season strong against rival Penn.