Ivy League Football Roundup

Last weekend's games saw most of the Ivy football teams dominating or being dominated, with Penn falling towards the latter category with a 31-13 defeat at Dartmouth. Let's see how the other teams in the league fared.

Yale 51, Cornell 13

Yale (3-0, 1-0 Ivy) was an absolute machine on offense for the third straight week, and the Elis' defense finally held up their end of the bargain in the Ivy opener. The Bulldogs held Cornell (0-3, 0-1) to just 13 points after allowing 41 in each of their first two games. Yale looks like a serious favorite for the Ivy title, but it's still early.

Yale Quarterback Morgan Roberts was the big star in this excuse for a game, as the junior put up 312 yards on 26-for-30 passing, finding the end zone five times. Yale will look to continue its winning ways against Dartmouth at home this weekend, while Cornell will seek redemption in a visit to Harvard.

Princeton 38, Columbia 6

This one wasn't as ugly as the Yale-Cornell romp, but it wasn’t very far off. Columbia (0-3, 0-1) actually had the lead near the end of the first half, but Princeton (2-1, 1-0) rammed it in from the goal line on the final play before the intermission to take a lead into the locker room, and never looked back.

Princeton's junior running back DiAndre Atwater had 107 yards on just 11 carries, and notched one of the Tigers' four rushing touchdowns on the day. Meanwhile, Princeton first-team All-Ivy cornerback Anthony Gaffney came up with two interceptions.

The Lions have yet to crack double-figures in points in a game this season, and they haven't been able to hold any of their opponents under 35, either. Columbia will look to get its season on track this Saturday at Monmouth, while the Tigers will visit Colgate.

Harvard 34, Georgetown 3

Harvard (3-0, 1-0) dominated its non-conference opponent on both sides of the ball in this matchup, stifling the Georgetown (2-4) offense while bulldozing through their defense. Senior running back Andrew Casten was the story of the game for the Crimson, as he rushed for 139 yards and four scores, also adding 49 yards in the receiving game.

Harvard will host Cornell this Saturday, and look to beat up on the Big Red.

Brown 20, Rhode Island 13

This year's Governor's Cup was a battle between a pair of winless teams, but Brown (1-2, 0-1) edged out Rhode Island (0-5) to win the 99th matchup between the two teams. Senior quarterback Marcus Fuller led the way for the Bears, throwing for 169 yards and a touchdown. Brown will have another nonconference game this weekend, when they host Holy Cross.