Ivy League soccer roundup — Oct. 27

Women’s Soccer

Harvard 5, Princeton 4

In one of the biggest Ivy matchups of the year, Harvard (9-3-2, 4-0-1 Ivy) defeated Princeton (5-5-3, 2-2-1) in thrilling fashion. After a back-and-forth battle, the match was tied, 4-4, in the waning stages of regulation. However, in the 81st minute, sophomore forward Midge Purce parked a penalty quick to give the Crimson the victory. The win puts Harvard firmly in the driver’s seat for the Ivy title, with Dartmouth trailing.

Brown 2, Cornell 0

It didn’t have the fanfare of the last matchup, but Brown (6-6-3, 1-2-2) and Cornell (7-8, 1-4) were also in action. With two timely first half goals, the Bears were able to take down the Big Red in what turned out to be a 2-0 shutout. It is Brown’s first Ivy win on the season. Meanwhile, Cornell continues to struggle — the only team below Penn in the Ivy standings.

Dartmouth 1, Columbia 0

The Ivy second-place Big Green (5-4-4, 2-0-3) was only able to score once against Columbia (6-3-5, 2-2-1), but it was enough to procure an all-important win. In the 19th minute, senior Tasha Wilkins drilled home a free kick for Dartmouth, whose defense made the goal stand up throughout the match. The victory keeps the Big Green within (a long) arm’s reach of first-place Harvard.

Penn 1, Yale 1

The ups and downs continue for the Quakers (5-5-3, 1-3-1), as they played Yale (6-4-3, 1-1-3) to a draw after 2-OT wasn’t enough to decide a victor. Despite strong performances from lone goal-scorer Juliana Provini and keeper Kalijah Terilli and an overall high level of intensity, the Red and Blue could not make the game-winning play.

Men’s Soccer

Penn 1, Yale 1

This is not the result that the Quakers (6-6-1, 2-2-1) needed. Much like their female counterparts, the Red and Blue came into the season hoping to contend for an Ivy title, but they have faced their share of ups and downs. On Saturday, Forrest Clancy continued his breakout season with a goal, but against a Yale team that ranks toward the bottom of the nation in RPI, this result is definitely a “down.” The draw means that the Quakers no longer control their own destiny as they try to chase down Dartmouth to win the Ivy title for the second season in a row.

Dartmouth 1, Columbia 0

Penn coach Rudy Fuller likes to say that anything can happen in an Ivy matchup, and things almost got crazy in a matchup between Dartmouth (8-4-1, 3-1) and Columbia (5-6-1, 1-2-1). Key word: almost. The Lions unexpectedly took the Big Green to overtime, but a timely Columbia header provided the decisive score, giving Dartmouth a victory, 1-0. With the win, the Big Green maintain a two-point margin at the top of the Ivy League standings.

Cornell 1, Brown 0

In a weekend filled with low-scoring Ivy games, the matchup between Cornell (9-4-1, 2-2) and Brown (3-5-5, 1-2-1) was no exception. After an impressive string of passes, the Big Red was able to park a strike in the upper-90 of Brown’s goal in the 30th minute. Cornell’s defense made the goal stand up, giving them the victory by a slim margin.

Princeton 3, Harvard 2

The Crimson (8-4-1, 2-1-1) came up just short in their comeback bit against the Tigers (7-3-3, 2-1-1) over the weekend. Princeton scored the first three tallies, but Harvard came back. However, the Tigers were able to hold on for a 3-2 victory in a crucial Ivy contest. Both teams are now two points behind the Big Green for the top spot in the Ivies.