FINAL - Brown 30, Penn 27 OT

Can't make Franklin Field for the homecoming game today? Refresh this page for updates after every quarter.

FINAL: Penn 27, Brown 30

With the wind swirling, Morgan missed his 35-yard attempt, but Penn picked the worst possible time to commit an offsides penalty. Brown got a first down, ran the ball up the middle twice, and trotted out Morgan again. He didn't make the same mistake twice, splitting the uprights with his 25-yarder on third down and sending Penn to its second conference loss.

With Princeton and Harvard still on the docket, this was not a game Penn could afford to lose.

Check back for complete coverage in Monday's DP.

Overtime: Penn 27, Brown 27

Penn lost the toss and needed to score. After Mizell hauled in a 10-yard reception, the Quakers faced a third-and-eight and a pass to Billy May was broken up by star linebacker Zak DeOssie. Zoch came out to attempt the 27-yard field goal and missed again, this one wide right.

Penn is in a really tough spot now. A field goal will win it for Brown.

Fourth quarter: Penn 27, Brown 27

Brown's last drive ended when Williams intercepted a pass, but he fumbled to Greg Ambrogi, who lateralled to Britton Ertman. Ertman ran out of bounds just as time expired, and we're headed to overtime for the second game in a row.

The press also just received word that Princeton has been upset by Cornell's last stand on defense, yielding the Big Red a 14-7 win in Ithaca, N.Y. With Yale's win over Columbia, Penn can move back into second place if it can pull out this win in overtime.

1:16, Fourth quarter: Penn 27, Brown 27

Wynn brought the ball out to the 34, and tight end Josh Koontz got the Quakers a first down at the Brown 45 with a short reception. After a false start, Irvin heaved a bomb over the middle to Chris Mizell, who had the ball knocked loose as he came back to earth. Lepisto came up with the big catch Penn needed, but the fresh set of downs go to waste after two incompletions and a stuff of Sandberg in the backfield. Brown now has its chance and will start on the 20.

3:52, Fourth quarter: Penn 27, Brown 27

Penn made a last stand on defense, but it wasn't enough to keep the charging Bears from tying the game. DiGiacomo threw a perfect bullet from inside the 10 to wideout Lonnie Hill, threading a frozen rope in between two defenders. It's up to Penn right now, with a pair of time-outs left.

8:13, Fourth quarter: Penn 27, Brown 20

The Bears managed a field goal to open the scoring here in the fourth. But on their next drive, the Bears decide to go for a fourth-and inches on their own 24 and botch the toss play. Penn takes over with just over nine minutes to go.

That would have been huge, except Irvin throws a thoroughly silly rainbow into the endzone on the next play. It was intercepted, and we're back where we started.

Third quarter: Penn 27, Brown 17

Penn converts a huge fourth-and-eight in the red zone when the Brown secondary leaves sophomore Matt Reinert wide open done the sidelines, and Sandberg rumbles through for a touchdown afterwards. Derek Zoch returns and nails the extra point. It is now a two-possession game, and the crowd -- which has grown steadily even as the sky has clouded over -- finally makes some noise after special teamer Chris Wynn makes a great tackle on the ensuing kickoff.

The Quakers quickly give up their advantage when Raymond ran right over cornerback Greg Ambrogi for a 44-yard touchdown score. Penn's coverage has looked awful today.

But just when you think the action is over, Wynn ran right up the middle and broke a tackle down the sidelines for an electrifying 98-yard kick return. My DP colleague Josh Hirsch informs me that it is the longest kickoff return since 1955 for Penn (and that was against Notre Dame, no less). The Bears can't help but be demoralized after seeing their comeback effort dashed so quickly. But a lot can still happen.

Halftime: Penn 13, Brown 10

Akin Oyalomo punched in a touchdown on a draw play to put Brown up 10-0 on the first play of the quarter. Not so hot.

But it looks like Penn's passing game is catching on, too. Tight end Chris Mizell and receiver Matt Carre have big plays under their belts already, and Penn got on the board when Robert Irvin found wideout Billy May on a short slant route for a touchdown. The special-teams woes continued for now, though, as Brown blocked the point-after attempt and brought down Mike Marinelli after the defensive end recovered the ball and tried to run it in. That could come back to bite Penn.

DiGiacomo is getting a bit more pressure in the second half, and Penn got great field position midway through the quarter after he was sacked twice in the same possession. The Quakers were forced to punt, but after Brown got the ball back DiGiacomo faked a handoff and tried to sneak ahead, only to have the ball knocked loose by lineman Brian Fairbanks and returned for a touchdown by captain Scotty Williams. Braden Lepisto converts the PAT and it's Penn, 13-10.

Williams continues to end up in the middle of everything, as the ball is tipped into his hands by LB Kory Gedin on the next drive, and he returns this interception to the Brown 14. But Irvin almost threw a pick of his own on the subsequent series, and after a Penn timeout and a highlight-reel catch by Sandberg, Braden Lepisto was trotted out for a field goal and pulled the chip shot wide left.

The burning question for Penn going into the second half: will Al Bagnoli even give the running game a chance, or is he committed to winning the game completely through the air?

First quarter: Penn 0, Brown 3

Penn is having trouble picking up on the Bears' penchant for spreading the offense out wide. Brown has already converted four of five third-down chances, and QB Joe DiGiacomo looks poised in the pocket. He has 104 yards in the air already.

DiGiacomo rebounded from a huge sack by Penn DB Tyson Maugle to find wideout Paul Raymond near the sidelines and bring the Bears back into field-goal range. Kicker Steve Morgan converted teh 36-yarder to put Brown up by a trio.

If nothing else, Brown is milking the clock and keeping the Penn offense off the field, the only highlight being a 26-yard completion to tailback Joe Sandberg (with 27 of those yards coming after the catch). The Quakers punted to end their only possession of the quarter. Brown will start on the Penn 9 to open the second frame.