T him up

You've probably read on the main site that Glen Miller has been chosen to succeed Fran Dunphy as the men's basketball coach. As I note in Wednesday's DP, a good number of Penn fans remember Miller for his outbursts, particularly one at the Palestra three years ago.

Miller's Brown team lost, 73-66, and after the game he went on a tirade about the officiating saying he "got jammed up the ass" by the officials. That's just one case of Miller's short fuse.

Going back to January 2004, the last easily accessible box scores I could find (Brown doesn't exactly keep stellar records), Miller has been issued four technical fouls (three in Ivy League games).

By contrast, I cannot recall Dunphy getting a T in the four years I've been watching the Quakers. A quick scan of the past three year's worth of box scores proves that to be correct.

I think Miller will calm down a bit once he settles in here. He should pile up plenty of wins given the talent he'll have on next season's team, and that should help. But Penn is hands down the marquee program in the Ivy League right now, and Miller will be in the company of four other first-rate coaches in the Big 5. Tirades here are not acceptable. Neither is blaming officials or throwing fits.

Penn fans have come to expect their coach to win, but not at the expense of losing any class. I hope Miller doesn't let them down.

On a completely unrelated note, Princeton's Joe Scott has received a technical foul in each of the last three games he has coached against Penn. Scott is 1-2 in those games and 1-3 overall against the Quakers.