One man picked, again

For the second year in a row, the Ivy League had exactly one man picked in the NFL Draft. Last year, Harvard quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick went in the seventh and final round to St. Louis.

This year, the man was Cornell offensive lineman Kevin Boothe. The behemoth (6-5, 316) was picked by the Oakland Raiders as the seventh pick of the sixth round (176th of 255 overall).

That means that players like Brown running back Nick Hartigan, Yale quarterback Jeff Mroz and Princeton corner Jay McCareins went undrafted. They, like former Penn corner Duvol Thompson, can still sign with a team.

Elsewhere, the Penn Relays coverage on NBC was a joke. I understand that it got preempted by overtime hockey and that the local news probably should not get pushed back for an event taped a day earlier. But in the 30 minutes that NBC showed the Relays, we had an introduction, a commercial, a race, a commercial, a highlight of another race, a commercial, a race, a commercial, a two-minute wrap-up, and a five-minute sportsdesk update.

In the 30 minutes, we saw about five minutes of running (to go along with a five-man broadcast crew) I understand cutting back coverage in the last few years, but to me, this seemed like a waste.