Who to root for

I guess I'll make this a daily feature on The Buzz until the NCAA Tournament (however, I am traveling to China on Sunday, so I might skip a day -- but I digress).

Here's your daily dose of teams to root for in conference tournaments if you want Penn's seed to go up (that's assuming that Penn wins the Ivy title):

Atlantic Sun Tournament
Here, you can root for anyone. All teams are way behind Penn in the RPI. The closest is Lipscomb (RPI 146) who is 40 spots behind the Quakers in the rankings.

Big South Tournament
Penn fans should root for No. 5 seed High Point to upset No. 1 Winthrop. That's because Winthrop has an RPI of 81. If they go down, the next best team is No. 2 Coastal Carolina (RPI 128), which would put Penn ahead of another tournament team.

Missouri Valley Conference Tournament
The 7 to 10 seeds (Evansville, Drake, Indiana State and Illinois State, respectively) play their open round games today. All four are way behind Penn in the RPI, so you can root for anyone. Don't expect a team to help the Quakers out in this conference, however. The top six seeds in this conference are all ranked at least 50 spots ahead of Penn in the RPI.

Northeast Conference Tournament
Quakers fans can pretty much root for anyone here too. Fairleigh Dickinson is the top-rated team in this conference, ranked 139th in the RPI. It's unlikely that they'll catch Penn even if they win out.

Southern Conference Tournament
Today's SoCon Tourney games feature the 6 to 11 seeds, all of which have RPIs in the 200s and 300s. Here, Penn fans can root for anyone, but they should root extra hard for the No. 11 seed, The Citadel. After all, the Quakers paid a visit to the South Carolina school earlier this year. A miracle run by The Citadel through the conference tournament would give Penn's RPI a little bit of a boost. As for the rest of the conference, Quakers fans should root for any team by Davidson to win. Even if the Wildcats (who are actually the No. 3 seed in this tournament) take the conference crown, they might still end up ranked behind Penn. Right now, Davidson is ranked 113th in the RPI.