playeroftheweek-sports-devon-goodman

After losing three games in a row, Penn men’s basketball has flipped the switch and have won three straight. Penn’s turnaround is thanks to two monster games by senior guard Devon Goodman, earning him DP Sports Player of the Week. 

Entering their game against Harvard on Friday, the Quakers were 0-2 in Ivy play, but Goodman helped Penn set the tone early. Just five minutes into the game, Goodman had a steal and a slam dunk to put the Quakers up 18-5. He played 44 minutes for the Quakers, leading all players in minutes. Goodman would then go on to have an all-around game with 15 points, five rebounds, and four steals, leading Penn to an overtime win for their first conference win.

For many, it would be difficult to follow up that performance with another great one, especially with the team's first Ivy Weekend of the season. But that is exactly what Goodman did Saturday night against Dartmouth. 

Once again, Goodman helped the Red and Blue to an early lead with a quick three-pointer to put them up 10-2 against the Big Green. Goodman led all scorers with 16 points, adding five rebounds and two steals. Goodman’s six steals this weekend now gives him 26 steals on the season, second in the Ancient Eight.

Goodman's performance this weekend builds on a dominant season for the senior. The veteran has been a consistent and reliable presence on the court, averaging 35.5 minutes per game to lead the team, while also adding 13.5 points and 4.0 rebounds a contest.

Penn’s Ivy League season did not get off to a great start, after dropping two straight games to Princeton to start January. However, this weekend’s back-to-back wins pushed them back to .500 in conference play. The Quakers now sit fourth in the Ivy standings behind Harvard. 

With only conference games left on their schedule, the Red and Blue will need Goodman to continue to put up dominant performances if they want to get back to the postseason.