gymnastics-kraez
Credit: Ari Stonberg

Next stop, ECAC championships.

Penn gymnastics lost to William & Mary tonight in Williamsburg, Va. in the team's last dual meet of the season. On the home side's senior night, the Tribe finished just ahead of the visiting Quakers by a score of 192.450 to 191.850.

After the first rotation, in which Penn started on the uneven bars and William & Mary on the vault, Penn’s overall team score trailed by just 0.1 point. 

William & Mary’s Katie Webber and Samantha Sakti posted their team’s highest scores on the vault, with 9.750 and 9.725 point, respectively, and the team scoring 48.175 points overall. 

For Penn’s first rotation, sophomore Allison Frommer led the way with 9.775 points, and fellow sophomore Jordyn Mannino scored 9.750 points on the uneven bars. William & Mary took on the bars in its second rotation and earned a total of 48.200 points on the bar, following Penn’s 48.075 points. 

Going into the second rotation, the Quakers struggled compared to the Tribe on the vault. Only two of the Red and Blue's vaulters scored higher than William & Mary’s lowest score in this event: senior Valerie Rube with 9.625 points, and freshman Sydney Kraez with 9.650 points. Penn scored a total of 47.750 points in this event. 

After the first two rotations, the Tribe led the Quakers 96.375 points to 95.825 points.

For the third rotation, Penn took to the floor, while William & Mary had the balance beam. 

Penn put up a team score of 48.125 points in the floor routine, with Kraez scoring the highest with a 9.725, having scored 9.850 points last Sunday at Maryland.

Last Sunday’s tournament, also against Brown and Southern Connecticut, proved the most successful meet in the history of Penn’s gymnastics, with the Red and Blue's highest combined scores to date on beam and uneven bars. 

In its lowest scoring-event on Friday evening, William & Mary scored 47.625 points on the beam.

After the third rotation, Penn had cut the home side's lead to a slim 0.050, leaving it anybody's meet.

Going into the fourth rotation, Penn took on the beam and William & Mary performed on the floor. Sakti scored the highest for William & Mary on the floor, with 9.775 points, followed by successful performances by her teammates, leading William & Mary to secure 48.450 team points in this event, its highest category of the meet. 

Penn scored 47.950 points on the beam in the final round.

Despite their efforts, the Quakers fell short to William & Mary in every category except beam, with both teams scoring the highest overall team points in the floor exercise event. 

The last time these teams met, Penn narrowly defeated William & Mary, 193.025-192.850, at the Quakers' senior meet at the Palestra on Feb. 17.

Penn matched its floor routine team score from that meet, but scored lower in every other category against William & Mary in this second matchup. The Tribe scored higher on uneven bars and floor exercise as compared to their last dual meet against Penn. 

The Quakers will look to rebound from this loss when they face the Tribe again, along with competition from Brown, Cornell, Temple, and Yale, at next week's ECAC Championships.