football-team

Penn football will look to start its season with a bang on Sep. 21, when the team faces Delaware on the road.

Only 215 days until kickoff.

The Daily Pennsylvanian has confirmed Penn football's schedule for the 2019 season, and the team's season opener is circled on the calendars of many players who seek to avenge a disappointing end to 2018. 

After losing two consecutive Ivy League games to conclude the 2018 season, the Quakers now have their eyes set on the next objective — starting the season strong in a nonconference matchup against Delaware. 

The Quakers will kick off their season with a Sep. 21 visit to the Blue Hens, opening on the road for the first time in four years. 

The remaining non-Ivy games for the Quakers will be against Lafayette and Sacred Heart. This is the Quakers' first time playing Lafayette since 2013. Last season, the Leopards finished with a 3-7 record, which included a 29-point blowout loss to Sacred Heart to start their season.

As for their game against the Pioneers, the Red and Blue will look to replicate the heroics of last year's contest, when they utilized a late-game comeback to win, 31-27. Sacred Heart tied for first place in the Northeast Conference last season with a record of 7-4. 

Credit: Linda Ting

On Oct. 5, the Red and Blue will compete at Franklin Field for the first time all season. That game will also be the Ivy League opener for Penn, as the team faces off against Dartmouth. The Quakers have won just one game of their last five against the Big Green.

The Nov. 2 home game against Brown marks Family Weekend, and Homecoming will be one week later when the Red and Blue face Cornell on Nov. 9.

Continuing with the precedent set last year by the Ivy League to have rivalry games conclude the season, the Quakers will play Princeton at home on Nov. 23. The Tigers dominated the Ancient Eight last season, finishing with a 7-0 League record and defeating Penn by a score of 42-14. 

The DP has confirmed the opponents, locations, and weekends of the matchups, but some dates are subject to change based on the Ivy League's national television deal.

The Quakers are looking to build off a tie for fourth place in the Ivy League last season. After losing their only two first team All-Ivy selections this offseason, the team has a difficult task ahead. For now, the Quakers and fans can simply mark their calendars for what many hope will be the start of a run at the Ivy League title.