06b5f968-91ed-4fe6-a39c-3b22f445df8c-sized-1000x1000
Rendering from Bohlin Cywinski Jackson Architects

Construction will begin on Dec. 3 for New College House West, Penn's record-breaking $163 million dorm set to open on the corner of 40th and Walnut streets, according to emails sent to residents of nearby Rodin and W.E.B. Du Bois College Houses. The email also said students should expect noise from construction throughout reading days and finals week.

The emails, which were nearly identical, were sent to Rodin and Du Bois residents on Tuesday afternoon by Hamilton Village building administrator Max Reyes-Rosario and Du Bois Residential Services Manager Jane Pablos, respectively.

They outlined several critical details relating to the construction schedule. Construction trailers will soon be placed in the area between the two college houses. The diagonal walkway that cuts to Walnut and 40th streets will also be blocked off by a fence and will no longer be accessible. From Dec. 3 to 10, construction will take place Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Throughout reading days until the end of finals week, construction will take place from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

According to the email, the University will make an effort to minimize noise from construction, but it is unclear what specific efforts will be made. 

"While efforts have been made to keep noise impact to a minimum, please expect that there will be intermittent noise due to operation of machinery and equipment," the email said.

University spokesperson Stephen MacCarthy did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

According to the email, officials will send "detailed updates" on the construction process to residents in January 2019.

Trees in the area will also be removed starting in early December, but according to the announcement, they will be replanted. 

"The University is committed to replanting trees, and these plantings will occur towards the end of the project in 2021," the email read.

In November 2017, Penn announced plans to build New College House West on the high rise field. Early November, the University approved an additional $152.5 million in funds for the building of NCHW. The building will house 450 students and will be open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors starting in 2021. It will open at the same time that the new housing policy requiring sophomores to live on campus will be put in place.