Philadelphia_skyline-daytime
Jeffrey M. Vinocur | CC BY-SA 3.0

Philadelphia zip codes are among the top millennial hotspots in the United States, according to data from the U.S. Census. 

In a report compiled by internet listing service RENTCafe, Philadelphia’s Kensington (19125) neighborhood placed No. 8 in a list of the top U.S. cities that showed the highest increase of millennial population from 2011 to 2016. 

The report, which defined millennials as individuals born between 1977 and 1996, observed a 37.4 percent increase in Kensington, which translates to 11,200 millennials. Neighborhoods in Los Angeles and Manhattan secured the top spots, with a 91.4 percent and a 54.5 percent increase in millennial populations, respectively. 

Philadelphia’s Manayunk area (19127) ranked No. 2 in a list of cities with the highest share of millennials, boasting a density of 71 percent, and Center City West (19102) assumed the 19th position with a millennial population of 60 percent. 

In 2014, statistics from the Pew Charitable Trusts found that the millennial population in Philadelphia increased by 100,000 between 2006 and 2012, which was the largest increase in any other populous cities in America. During this time, the highest densities of millennials were found in Center City, West Philadelphia, and certain South Philadelphia neighborhoods. 

The Pew report indicated the influx of young, recent college graduates in Philadelphia’s inner city population is a result of rising popularity within small neighborhoods outside urban centers, such as the development of small businesses and entertainment spaces in Kensington and Manayunk.