DPPOW_Belodeau

With five goals, four assists, and nine draw controls, freshman midfielder Zoe Belodeau was absolutely everywhere in Penn women's lacrosse's 24-13 win over Harvard.

Credit: Son Nguyen

To pick just one standout in a game that featured Penn women’s lacrosse scoring 24 goals is very difficult. But the way freshman attackman Zoe Belodeau dominated every facet of the game cannot go without recognition.

Belodeau had already comfortably broken the school’s single-season freshman points record entering the weekend, but even in such a historic year, this might have been her top performance yet. 

As a scorer, Belodeau tied for the team lead with five goals on an efficient 83.3 percent shooting. As a distributor, the Ivy League’s assists leader was as good as ever, racking up four assists to give her nine total points for the afternoon — only two shy of the school record.

Yet as good as she was on offense, in a 37-goal shootout, it was perhaps her ability to allow the Quakers to get possession that reigned just as important. 

Belodeau secured nine of the Quakers’ 16 draw controls. Additionally, her only forced turnover of the afternoon may have been Penn’s play of the year; with just over ten minutes left, Belodeau somehow cleanly intercepted Harvard goalie Grace Rotondo’s attempted clearance pass from only four yards away and then buried it in the back of the net.

After breaking that aforementioned rookie points record, Belodeau could be on the verge of even more accolades — with 60 points right now, she’s only 25 shy of Nina Corcoran’s record for any player, with anywhere from four to nine games remaining depending on how the Quakers’ postseason goes. But for now, the rookie can take solace in knowing that her career-best effort this weekend has earned her DP Sports Player of the Week.