BrannPlayerOfWeek
Credit: Eric Zhang

Don’t look now, but Penn softball appears to be back on track. 

After starting the season with seven straight losses, the Quakers (11-15, 7-5 Ivy) are making a serious mid-season push. 

Helping the Red and Blue cause considerably was this past week’s dominant performance in which Penn defeated Villanova and then swept three games against rival Yale. 

The catalyst for the team’s recent surge, and the DP Sports Player of the Week? Sophomore pitcher Jennifer Brann. 

Brann picked up her third win of the season on April 4 against Villanova. Coming on in relief of starter Tabitha Dyer, Brann threw three shutout innings to secure the 5-3 victory. Perhaps most impressively, the Houston, Texas native allowed only a single hit against the Wildcats.

Two days later, against conference foe Yale, Brann was equally dominant. In a 5-1 win over the Bulldogs, Brann demonstrated her endurance, throwing a complete game. Over the course of those seven innings, Brann conceded only five hits and allowed just a single run. Simply put, the Yale hitters had no answer for Brann, and the Quaker bats certainly played their part as well. 

For the Quakers to continue their recent ascent, they’ll need Brann to continue her strong play. If this past week is any indication, the Red and Blue are in good hands.