Gregory Vincent
Dr. Gregory Vincent (Hobart and William Smith Colleges | CC BY-SA 4.0)

The University has decided to allow Penn graduate and former President of Hobart and William Smith Colleges Gregory Vincent to keep his doctorate in education from Penn, as long as he revises the plagiarized portions of his dissertation that earned him the degree, according to Finger Lakes Times

The decision comes after Vincent's resignation from his post as president of HWS on April 13, following allegations of his plagiarism. Vincent graduated from Penn's Graduate School of Education in 2004 and joined HWS as president in 2017.  

"Given the anonymous allegations leveled against my scholarship, however, and the distraction they have caused, I believe this is the best decision for the Colleges and for me," Vincent said. "My primary concern is to avoid any further stress to the campus community. I remain grateful for the partnership of the community and wish the Colleges well.”

The controversy came after an anonymous email was sent to officials at HWS, staff at The Chronicle of Higher Education, and faculty at Penn, alleging that Vincent plagiarized at least six portions of his 2004 dissertation, WXXI News reported. 

According to Finger Lakes Times, Penn Graduate School of Education spokesperson Kat Stein commented on the matter in a statement. 

“Based on recommendations by the faculty, Gregory Vincent will be given the opportunity to make revisions to the literature review portion of his dissertation, under Penn Graduate School of Education faculty supervision, which, when completed to our satisfaction, means his degree will stand,” Stein said.

Even after the University’s decision, however, Vincent said that he does not intend to retrieve his old position back. 

According to Finger Lakes Times, Vincent said that he may take a job at the University of Texas at Austin, where he previously served as vice president for diversity and community engagement.