02052001_snow_a12
File Photo

Penn has announced the suspension of normal operations on Wednesday due to inclement weather conditions. Classes are canceled as well. The announcement was sent out via text and email at around 9 p.m. to the Penn community.

"Essential University staff and all UPHS physicians and staff are required to report to work at their regularly scheduled start time and, if already present, remain at work per their supervisor’s instruction. Please exercise caution and take your time in traveling to campus; use public transit if available," the announcement read.

The email follows announcements from Drexel University and Temple University that they would close Wednesday. The City of Philadelphia announced that its offices are closed, and that jury duty and normal operations are suspended.

“All non-essential personnel are encouraged to stay home,” the City of Philadelphia tweeted.

Earlier on Tuesday, the "Teach-In on the Production, Dissemination, and Use of Knowledge,” the first event of its kind to take place in 49 years, cancelled many of its events and lectures for the following day.  

The session “Nudging Women to Run," planned for Tuesday at 6 p.m., was canceled. “Data Refugee Stories,” “Developing a Culture of Health,” and a “Young Frankenstein" movie screening — all of which were planned for Wednesday – were postponed and will be rescheduled.

SEPTA issued a warning against unnecessary travel starting late Tuesday afternoon and lasting throughout Wednesday. SEPTA's Regional Rail is also operating in accordance to the "Severe Storm Schedule" on Wednesday.

"SEPTA General Manager Jeff Knueppel says officials will be watching for downed trees and power lines, and warns that bus service could be impacted not only by snow but by downed trees," 6abc reported.

The storm is the fourth Nor’easter to hit Philadelphia this month and is expected to bring nearly 8 to 10 inches of snow on Wednesday morning, slowing down by the evening. The storm first hit Tuesday, the first day of spring.

Earlier in the semester, winter storms served as barriers to travel for many students. Right before spring break, a blizzard forced many students to delay their travel plans.

Immediately before the start of the semester, a Nor'easter required some students to postpone travel arrangements back to school. The January Nor'easter also contributed to pipe damage throughout the city and on campus.

Penn last suspended University operations on Feb. 8 for the Philadelphia Eagles parade of champions.