jenkins

Sophomore quarterback Eddie Jenkins turned in an electric performance with five total touchdowns in Penn sprint football's 45-14 win over Cornell. 

Credit: Ilana Wurman

Saying Penn sprint football's Eddie Jenkins had a bounce-back performance on Friday would be a gross understatement.

After the worst game of his young career against Army, the sophomore quarterback was firing on all cylinders in Penn sprint football’s 45-14 win over Cornell to earn him this week’s edition of DP Sports’ Player of the Week.

On the night, Jenkins completed 16 out of 21 passes for 335 yards and three touchdowns through the air while also running for 24 yards and two touchdowns from seven carries on the ground. This is a far cry from last week when the talented quarterback rushed for -32 yards on the ground to go along with three turnovers — two fumbles and one interception. 

Credit: Julia Schorr

Part of what makes Jenkins so deadly is his ability to use his legs. Though two-time Collegiate Sprint Football League (CSFL) MVP Mike McCurdy was elite in his own right, Jenkins is proving himself to be more than adept at handling the Quakers' offense in McCurdy's absence. 

More mobile than his predecessor, Jenkins enables Penn to add more designed quarterback runs to keep the defense on edge, as evidenced by his two rushing scores on designed quarterback runs against Cornell. 

This game was an encouraging sign for those who were concerned about Jenkins' ability to lead the offense. However, in order for the Quakers to repeat as CSFL champions, Jenkins and Penn will need to produce more Cornell-esque performances.