ericaHiga

Senior midfielder Erica Higa has the lone goal for the Red and Blue through four games as the offense struggles to break out.

Credit: Chris Mountanos

Penn women's soccer is already four games into its season, but the offense has yet to kick into high gear.

The Quakers (0-2-2) will look to break out of their scoring rut as they return home this Saturday to take on Bucknell (1-4-0). Through four games this season, the Red and Blue have only squeaked across one goal: a 12-yard strike off the foot of senior midfielder Erica Higa in the team's most recent game against UC Riverside.

The scoring drought has not been because of a lack of opportunities: Penn has more shots (43 to 39) and shots on goal (18 to 17) than its opponents thus far. Instead, the problem has been converting those scoring chances and shots into goals.

The Quakers are no strangers to scoring droughts. Aside from a five-goal outburst against Cornell, the squad scored just four goals in six games of Ivy play last year. Still, the three shutouts thus far this year already matches the total from last year, making the slow start even more concerning.

While the offense has sputtered, the Red and Blue's back line has proved itself to be in midseason form, giving up only three goals thus far. Led by sophomore goalie Kitty Qu, who posted an eight-save shutout against UC Irvine this past weekend, the Red and Blue's defensive unit has kept the squad in contention in each game.

Luckily for Penn, Bucknell has had an equally frustrating start to the season. The Bison lost four straight games to start the season before ultimately capturing a 2-1 overtime win over Rider.

So while it has been an aggravating start for Penn's offense, there is still plenty of time to turn it around. This weekend gives the Quakers another opportunity to break out and get that first win.