nickRobinson

Sophomore quarterback Nick Robinson made the most of his limited snaps, throwing a touchdown to senior wide receiver Justin Watson and running for another one.

Credit: Zach Sheldon

Penn football hasn’t won a season-opener in three straight years, and if things keep going the same way, it could be four. And this one would be the most painful of them all.

At halftime, Penn (0-0) trails Division II’s Ohio Dominican 10-7 (0-2).

With Penn’s offense struggling to get anything going in the first quarter, Ohio Dominican quarterback Grant Russell proved that he wasn’t afraid of the moment. On the Panthers’ second drive of the game, Russell hit Cedric Washington on a 40 yard bomb to give Ohio Dominican a 7-0 lead with 9:22 left in the first quarter.

From there, both offenses sputtered for the rest of the quarter, as Penn starting senior quarterback Will Fischer-Colbrie struggled to get anything going in his first collegiate appearance.

With Fischer-Colbrie failing to move the ball, coach Ray Priore subbed in sophomore quarterback Nick Robinson early in the second quarter. In his very first pass of the game, Robinson hit senior wide receiver Justin Watson for a 59 yard TD strike to tie the game 7-7.

Interestingly, Fischer-Colbrie checked back in for Penn later in the second quarter. He appeared more comfortable in the pocket, but he still failed to put up any points for the Quakers.

With 3:51 left in the half, Ohio Dominican converted a field goal to gain its current 10-7 lead. Penn will receive the second-half kickoff.