johnhuntsmanjr

Jon Huntsman Jr., a 1987 College graduate, is pictured here speaking inside the building that bears his name, Huntsman Hall.

Credit: Joy Lee

Former Utah Gov. and 1987 College graduate Jon Huntsman Jr. is “in talks to serve as U.S. ambassador to Russia,” according to CNN.

Huntsman previously served as ambassador to China under the Obama administration.

The son of 1959 Wharton graduate Jon Huntsman Sr., Huntsman was last seen on campus two weeks ago when he gave a talk at Huntsman Hall, named after his father. The former ambassador spoke about his vision for U.S. foreign relations, and pointed out that “neither Trump nor Pence has visited” China.

In his remarks Huntsman also criticized President Donald Trump’s phone call with the Taiwanese president prior to his inauguration.

The criticism isn’t isolated. Huntsman called for Trump to drop out of the race after the release of Access Hollywood tapes in which Trump made lewd comments about women.

Despite this history, an anonymous senior administration official told CNN that Huntsman has been in touch with “Trump’s top advisors and possibly Trump himself.”

And Huntsman is not entirely unfamiliar to the Trump administration — His name had shown up in earlier discussions of potential secretary of state nominees.

A spokesperson for Huntsman did not respond to requests for comment from CNN.