trump

While other College Republicans chapters faced backlash after denouncing Trump, Penn's chapter has refrained from making an official statement.

Credit: Julio Sosa | Senior Photographer

Election Day is less than a week away, and the issue of student debt is weighing on young voters' minds more than ever. 

The New York Times just released a breakdown of Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton's student debt plans in an attempt to pin the candidates down on their policies. Their plans are as different as their personalities. 

Trump did not offer much about student debt until October, when he gave some details about a plan to help young graduates pay off their federal loans. His plan, similar to President Barack Obama's, would cap repayment at 12.5 percent of student's income and "forgive" remaining debt entirely after 15 years. Trump also challenged universities to eliminate their "administrative bloat" and reduce the cost of tuition.  

Clinton has repeatedly pledged to implement policies to allow students from families with an income of under $125,000 a year to attend their state school tuition-free. This pledge will be supported by increased push for states to offer tuition grants to public universities and by financial penalties for universities who fail to cut tuition, trim the cost of education and help students receive good jobs after graduation. 

The Daily Pennsylvanian did its own analysis on the candidates' student debt plans last week