warren

Courtesy of Edward Kimmel on Flickr

Former Sen. Scott Brown called on Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren to prove her Native American ancestry today — and attempted to enlist Penn’s help in determining it as well.

The controversy around Warren’s roots started back when she was running against Brown for senate in 2012, when reports surfaced that Warren had described herself as a minority in the Harvard Law School directory and was referenced in a Harvard Crimson story about diversity in the law school as a Native American professor.

Warren joined Penn’s law school as a professor in 1987, became a William A. Schnader Professor of Commercial Law in 1990, and left for Harvard Law School in 1995.

Recently, Warren’s passionate and public critiques of Donald Trump have caused the presumptive Republican nominee and 1968 Wharton graduate to revive the accusation that Warren fabricated her heritage and got special treatment. Trump has even dubbed her “Pocahontas.”

Brown, a Trump supporter, took up Trump’s case today when he said that Warren, who campaigned for presumptive Democrat nominee Hillary Clinton today, had practiced a “reverse form of racism,” by taking away an opportunity for someone who was actually Native American.

"She's not Native American, she's not 1/32nd, she has no Native American background, except for what her family told her," Brown said to reporters on a conference call hosted by the Republican National Committee after Clinton’s campaign event, where Warren spoke. "The easy answer, as you all know, is that Harvard and Penn can release those records, she can authorize the release of those records, she can take a DNA test, she can release the records herself. There's never been any effort," he said.