Attacks and territorial disputes have plagued the people of Governors State University throughout the month – but not of the human variety.

The actions of aggressive geese that call the public Illinois university home prompted emails and flashing signs throughout campus. The administration is warning students and faculty to stay at least 30 feet away from birds and provided advice for those unfortunate enough to find themselves confronted by an angry goose.

For evidence of the effects that the geese have caused, as noted by the Chicago Tribune, “one need only take a gander at one of the doors to Building A on campus, which was apparently cracked by a cranky goose and now has plastic covering it as a temporary fix.”

While GSU biology professor John Yunger explained to the Tribune that such behaviors are normal at this time of year since geese are prioritizing the defense of their nests, campus personnel have taken steps to reduce the number of human-geese confrontations.

One goose’s nest previously found near a campus building was relocated to a more isolated area, and GSU Services Director Kevin Barto organized an approach of surrounding bodies of water with high vegetation to discourage nesting, which cut down the goose population to a low of 40.

Though the geese will not be missed when they finally calm down or leave for good, their influence has certainly caused a very amusing nuisance.