The University of California Board of Regents released a statement last Thursday condemning anti-Semitism on its campuses. The statement was released in light of recent anti-Semitic events on UC campuses and the rise in a push for Israel boycotts, primarily in the form of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions or B.D.S. movement.

A prior version of the statement included language condemning anti-Zionism but was later amended to prohibit “anti-Semitic forms of anti-Zionism” when critics pointed out that anti-Zionism is a political belief protected by the First Amendment.

The statement has faced criticism from pro-Palestinian UC groups who believe the statement’s intention is to impinge on discussion of Israel’s policies. Some academics fear it will discourage free speech and campus Jewish groups believe it will not do enough to combat anti-Semitism.

The Board’s statement outlines ten main policy points prohibiting discrimination but does not include specific penalties for violations.

According to The New York Times, the University of California is the first public university system to adopt such a statement.