The former captain of the Yale men’s basketball team, Jack Montague, announced his plans to sue the college on March 14.

After facing expulsion on February 10 due to allegations of sexual assault from a fellow student, the Yale senior declared that the decision was unfair and excessive, according to Yale Daily News. Montague’s decision to sue arrived one day after the NCAA announced Yale’s spot in the March Madness tournament.

Montague’s encounter with an unnamed female student occurred in October of 2014. The anonymous Yale student did not report the incident until a year after the fact. Following the filing of a formal complaint and a university investigation, Yale expelled Jack Montague.

A private investigator found that Montague and the anonymous student had previous consensual relations. The assailed claimed that the fourth incident had been nonconsensual, while Montague disputes her account.

The decision created a rift between members of the men’s basketball team, who supported Montague by publically donning T-shirts printed with his nickname, and other students, who accused them of supporting rape culture.