20160318baseballvbinghamtonjashley322

Senior outfielder Matt Greskoff delivered a key three-run homer in a game one Quaker victory. The Red and Blue would go on to take two of three games over Binghamton over the weekend.

Credit: Jashley Bido

Over the course of a long season, teams need to find many different ways to win.

Penn baseball did just that in its home-opening series this weekend, taking two of three games from Binghamton.

On Friday, the Quakers ended a five-game losing streak by defeating the Bearcats by a score of 6-2.

The Red and Blue (4-8) continued with their struggles in the first inning, allowing a run to score on a ground out. Luckily for the Quakers, their bats woke up over the next several innings as they quickly tied and then took the lead.

In the third, after back-to-back singles by Gary Tesch and Tim Graul, senior outfielder Matt Greskoff hit a three-run blast over the right field wall to give Penn its first lead.

The Red and Blue would tack on to their lead with runs in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings. Binghamton (3-14) would score in the eighth on a throwing error, but it was not nearly enough offense to get back into the game.

Much of the credit would go to junior right-hander Jake Cousins, who pitched brilliantly, allowing only two runs over eight innings of work. He struck out seven batters while conceding only six hits, earning his first win on the year, a big one for Penn.

Saturday brought with it a double-header, and the two games were completely different for the Red and Blue.

The early game could not have gone worse for the Quakers, getting shut out in a 7-0 loss.

Penn continued their habit of allowing runs in the opening inning as Binghamton scored on a home run after giving up a walk, giving the Bearcats a 2-0 lead. A sacrifice bunt in the pushed another run across home plate in the fifth to extend the lead to three.

The score remained the same until the ninth inning, when Binghamton exploded for four runs, including a three-run homerun to put the nail in the coffin of the day’s first game.

The Quakers’ pitching staff responded perfectly in the second game of the day, winning a 1-0 shutout to take the series.

The Red and Blue’s bats, however, remained very quiet recording only two hits. The one run came via an error by the Bearcat shortstop on a hard-hit ground ball by Graul.

Regardless of the lack of offense, Penn’s bullpen shut Binghamton down. Gabe Kleiman, Mitch Holtz and Billy Lescher — who got his first career save — combined to shut out the Bearcats and give the Quakers a much-needed win.

The Red and Blue will take on Lehigh next with the hopes of continuing their newfound winning ways.