20160203katielolo_lomax23

Silicia "Lo-Lo" Lomax was named Miss Gold of the Alpha at the annual Alpha Psi Alpha beauty pageant. 

Credit: Katie Zhao

It’s not all about beauty for pageant contestant and College sophomore Silicia "Lo-Lo" Lomax. 

This year, Lomax finished as runner-up in the annual Alpha Phi Alpha scholarship pageant. Each year the multicultural fraternity hosts a ball to celebrate black achievement and offer an opportunity for current members, alumni and friends to reconnect. 

The fraternity has members from three Philadelphia universities — Villanova, Penn and Drexel. In the pageant segment of the event, one girl represents each school.

At the pageant, "they want to highlight the black women who are talented and capable,” Lomax said.

After being selected by the brothers to apply for the pageant, Lomax made it into the final round of interviews, and later received word she would be representing Penn. 

Contrary to what the word “pageant” connotes, the event was not meant to be a beauty contest. “It was not about the looks of an individual,” Lomax said, “It was about what internally you brought to the table.”

In the weeks following, Lomax squeezed pageant practice into her already busy schedule. She is currently a pre-med student and a Health and Societies major. Outside of the classroom, Lomax is the marketing chair of the Minority Association of Pre-Health Students, a volunteer for Big Brothers Big Sisters and a Strictly Funk Dance Company dancer.

College junior Araba Ankuma, another Strictly Funk dancer, recalled the time Lomax first tried out for the dance troupe, describing her as bubbly and smiley. She later earned the nickname "Smiles for Miles," that reflects her optimistic and upbeat personality.

All of her work at dance practice came in handy for the pageant as she performed a dance routine for the talent section. 

As it got closer to the night of the pageant, this pre-med student had much more than health and society courses to study for. A major part of the pageant was answering topical political questions that had controversial elements, such as #BlackLivesMatter and the 2016 presidential election. Lomax and the other contestants were judged on their ability to speak eloquently and support their responses.

Despite the recent snowstorm that made transportation in Philadelphia difficult, the show went on. Lomax’s parents were unable to make it to the event, but many of her friends came out to show their support.

“It’s unbelievable how much of an all-around great person she is,” College sophomore Destiny Bingham said, “Smart, caring, beautiful, independent, ambitious, a good dancer, outgoing and so much more.”

Consistent with her hard work and dedication, Lomax earned one of the top spots and was named Miss Gold of the Alpha pageant.

In the future Lomax wants to be a doctor in the healthcare field. She is motivated by her desire to help large groups of people and hopes that within her career she will be able to travel.

“Everything she does doesn’t go to her head,” College sophomore Elaina Joseph said, “She’s really humble given everything she’s accomplished so far.” 

Correction: A previous version of this article and its headline said that Silicia "Lo-Lo" Lomax won the pageant. She actually finished as the runner-up. The article also incorrectly named the fraternity Alpha Psi Alpha instead of Alpha Phi Alpha. The DP regrets the error.