Penn hired MaryFrances McCourt this week as the new vice president for finance and treasurer.

She previously served at Indiana University for over 10 years, including the last couple months as senior vice president and chief financial officer. 

McCourt will assume her role at Penn on March 21, but will continue working at Indiana University for the two months following her appointment to finalize its 2015-16 budget.

Indiana University Newsroom reported that McCourt is a strong advocate for affordability, and helped gain national attention for IU, which experienced a 16 percent decline in student borrowing over the last three years.

McCourt will be leaving Indiana’s budget of $3 billion to take on Penn’s $7.1 billion budget, which includes the medical system.

Before working at Indiana University, McCourt was Assistant Treasurer for Agilysys Inc., a multi-billion dollar reseller of enterprise computer technology solutions based in Cleveland, Ohio. She graduated from Duke University with a degree in Economics and received an MBA from Case Western University.

She replaces Stephen Golding, who served as Penn's vice president for finance and treasurer since 2008.