sprintfb

After three weeks on the road, they’re coming home.

This Friday night, Penn sprint football hosts Mansfield for its second home game of the season after its opener against Franklin Pierce.

“[We are] excited to come back and be home on Franklin Field,” senior captain Stu Helgeson said. “It’s been a long road trip, and we’re looking to follow up our win from last week.”

Since the Red and Blue’s (3-1) victory over the Ravens in mid-September, they have only dropped one contest, to a powerhouse program in Navy, no less. And this run of strong play has come amidst some difficult travel.

This week, the Quakers will have no long bus ride, but rather return to the historic Franklin Field to take on an opponent it has never fallen to.

But according to coach Bill Wagner, cockiness is not an option, especially against a hungry opponent.

“You never underestimate your opponent,” he said. “Mansfield hasn’t beaten Penn since they came onto the league, so they are going to come down here ready to play as hard as they possibly can.”

The Mountaineers (1-3) come to Philadelphia with only one win on their slate against the newest member of the Collegiate Sprint Football League (CSFL), Chestnut Hill.

Despite Mansfield’s less than stellar record, the game holds great significance for the Quakers. Currently sitting at second in league, the Red and Blue are serious contenders for taking the crown.

“We’re in a good position to be a contender to win this league,” Wagner said. "I think that I would have liked to have a better outcome at the Navy game, and then we would be having a perfect season possibly. But I think we are really in a good position now to have a big game against Mansfield.”

In addition to the game, the program will honor the 2000 Penn sprint football team and its league championship on Friday night.

“Before the kickoff, they are going to come out onto the field, and we will congratulate them,” Wagner said. “Many of them are very supportive of our program through mentoring and financially as well as being fans forever, because they are all sprint football guys.”

“It’s exciting,” Helgeson added. “It’s the last time Penn has won it and we are striving to be like them.”

In fact, it is the only time that the Quakers have solely held the league title.

Penn’s season is nearing its end with only two games remaining after this weekend’s contest. The two teams remaining: Princeton (0-2), which has yet to win a game, and Army (4-0), which is undefeated and the only team ahead of Penn, currently the CSFL leader.

The Red and Blue’s fate in the league entirely depends on these last three match-ups.

But first, Penn must beat the Mountaineers on Friday night.

“They’ve never beaten us, but you can never take them lightly,” Helgeson said. “You never know who will show up.”