copeland
Penn Quakers vs Princeton Tigers. Credit: Ceaphas Stubbs , Ceaphas Stubbs

Near the end of the third quarter in the Monday Night Football matchup between the Seattle Seahawks and Detroit Lions, a routine punt occurred.

This wouldn't be newsworthy anywhere as the punt returner, Seattle's Tyler Lockett, was tackled after a short gain. But the man who tackled him was none other than Penn alum Brandon Copeland. The play was Copeland's first career tackle as he played in his fourth game with the Lions.

A fellow Ivy League grad one-upped Copeland as former Princeton lineman Caraun Reid brought a fumble back for a touchdown. Reid is in his second year with the Lions, making an interesting combination of Penn and Princeton grads joining forces in the NFL.

Meanwhile, in Major League Baseball, the Houston Astros face off against the New York Yankees in the American League Wild Card Game. The postseason appearance for the Astros is yet another sign of a remarkable turnaround in Houston, led by 1989 Wharton and Engineering grad Jeff Luhnow. 

Luhnow became the general manager of the Astros franchise in December 2011, taking a team at the very bottom of the MLB standings and has turned them into a winner heading into tonight's matchup.

For Luhnow talking postseason baseball and the Astros, check out CBS Sports.