lesser_known_college_houses

Located between Locust and Spruce on 40th, Gregory College House is home to the Modern Language and Film Culture Residential Programs. It houses undergraduates from each year.

Credit: Carson Kahoe

Looking for a college house where you can bond over more than cleaning up vomit and responding to door-ajar alarms? Look no further than Penn’s small but charming college houseslowercased both instances of college houses: Gregory and Stouffer.

With multiple buildings along Spruce Street, these cozy and communal dorms provide hundreds of students with exactly the housing experience they are looking for.

Michelle Socher, an Engineering senior studying computer science, has lived in Gregory all four of her years at Penn.

“It’s a fantastic place to live. There’s a great community,” Socher said.

Her favorite aspect of living in Gregory is the unique opportunities the layout of rooms the house provides.

“We have individual bedrooms, but you can also have a roommate," she said.

Socher lived in the dorm throughout its 2013-14 renovations and said that they made the housing experience in Gregory much better, though she had no complaints before the improvements.

Stouffer, the other Spruce Street house, provides a similar experience.

College sophomore Chris Thompson also praised the house’s strong sense of community.

“We have lots of small events basically every day. It’s great how they bring different people from all different cultures together," he said.

Across the street in Stouffer’s other building, College freshman Elle Ambler praised the house’s central but inconspicuous location, particularly in relation to the Quadrangle. “This house has events going on all the time, there’s definitely more of a community,” she said.