wlax

Senior Taylor Foussadier has been a stalwart for one of the nation's best defenses in 2015.

For Penn women’s lacrosse, it’s just about time for a changing of the guard.

At the end of this season, senior superstars like goalkeeper Lucy Ferguson, defender Meg Markham and attack Tory Bensen will all graduate, leaving gaping holes in the starting lineup.

Also gone will be starting senior defenders Taylor Foussadier and Lydia Miller, in addition to captain and starting midfielder Lindsey Smith. Meanwhile, important supporting players like defender Leah McBride, midfielders Grace Newfrock and Shannon Mangini and attack Lindsey O’Loughlin will also be leaving Penn at the end of this season.

First among that class is team leader and stalwart goalkeeper Ferguson. A transfer from William & Mary, Ferguson arrived at Penn in her sophomore season and immediately was named starter. Her 527 career saves rank second in program history, and she is now one of the top goalkeepers in the nation, earning first team All-Ivy honors in 2015.

Markham, who helped lead the defense with Ferguson, spoke highly of her partner in the net.

“Lucy has had a huge impact. I think she has come into her own the past four years,” she said. “She is a huge presence on defense. She is that anchor.”

On the defensive side of the field, Markham has also been elite since her freshman year when she was a spot starter. She is a two-time Ivy League Defender of the Year — including in 2015 — and was named All-Ivy three times.

In the front seven, Bensen has been nothing short of phenomenal. A generational talent, her 129 career goals rank second in program history, and her 46 goals this season also rank third all-time in the team’s history books.

Despite her individual ability to make offensive fireworks, she credits all of her successes to the team.

“I think it goes to the whole team. That comes from practice. That comes from day-in and day-out being pushed harder and being asked to do more and more, [practicing with] some of the best defenders in the country and some of the best midfielders in the country bringing the ball up,” Bensen said.

“I don’t think any individual can take credit for that achievement alone. I’m really thankful that I’ve been playing with the people that I have. They definitely deserve the credit there.”

The importance of the other seniors on the squad cannot be overstated. Bensen singled out the team’s off-field rapport as a major key to its success more than anything. “It’s more of a family than a community,” she said. “These are my best friends, and the chemistry we’ve developed off the field has definitely helped on the field and it’s a reason why we’ve been so successful.”

Because of the seniors’ successes, it is easy to overlook the underclassmen. Doing so, however, would mean missing out on some of the team’s brightest players — and the future of the Penn women’s lacrosse program, especially on defense.

“Some of the underclassmen like Megan Kelly and Katie Cromie have gotten time, and Liz Gully will be here and she’s going to be a senior next year,” she said. “She’s a great player, and we’re making sure we teach them all that we know.”

Bensen agrees that the rising senior class has a lot to offer this team.

“You can look at the junior class as a whole, and they each have something to offer this team,” she said.

This is no exaggeration: The incoming senior class has a lot to offer. Junior midfielders Lely DeSimone and Nina Corcoran are both great possession players. Junior attack Iris Williamson ranks second on the team in goals and Catherine Dickinson is fourth. The four all started full-time this season and have already taken on their roles as vocal leaders.

“I think a lot of the current junior class, like Lely DeSimone, Nina Corcoran, Iris [Williamson], Catherine [Dickinson],” Foussadier said. “There are some great leaders in the junior class, and I think next year they’ll do a great job filling in those leadership roles.”

Bensen says that the incoming seniors will have no trouble filling in for the exiting class of 2015.

“I think honestly they lose something big, a big goalscorer, a huge defender. And every year we have been able to remain successful,” she said.

“It’s about the culture more than the people, and everyone has bought in. Somebody will step up next year, and I have the utmost faith in that.”

On Friday, Penn women’s lacrosse goes up against Cornell and hopes to keep its NCAA tournament hopes alive. With such a great corps of seniors and a talented group of starting juniors, the sky is the limit for Penn women’s lacrosse this postseason.