baseballbig5
Baseball vs. Cornell at Meiklejohn Stadium Credit: Riley Steele , Riley Steele

Pitching? Check. Offense? Check.

Penn baseball notched two Big 5 awards Monday, as senior outfielder Connor Betbeze took home Player of the Week while teammate and fellow senior Ronnie Glenn notched Pitcher of the Week.

The awards came on the heels of a perfect seven-game stretch for the Quakers, who, in addition to a midweek victory over Saint Peter’s, notched doubleheader sweeps of conference foes Brown, Yale and Harvard.

Glenn was dominant in his two appearances, notching two wins — both complete games — against Harvard and Brown. On Sunday, Glenn hurled all seven innings of the Quakers’ 13-2 dismantling of the Bears in Providence.

The previous Monday at home against the Crimson, Glenn gave up one run over seven innings of regulation ball before continuing on into extras. He went on to shut Harvard down for two additional innings before Betbeze knocked a game-winning single in the bottom of the ninth.

Speaking of Betbeze, it was a blistering week for the senior. A recent addition to coach John Yurkow’s starting lineup, the outfielder went 13-for-26 out of the leadoff spot. In addition to his walk-off heroics, Betbeze tallied eight runs batted in and five extra-base hits — two of which were home runs — over the seven-game stretch. Betbeze is now hitting a team-high .358 on the season.

Betbeze was just a small part of the Quakers’ explosive offensive attack. In just the past weekend against Yale and Brown, the Red and Blue mashed 29 extra-base hits as a team, including an incredible 13 home runs. The Quakers scored at least 13 runs in three of the four games, winning all four contests by at least seven tallies.

Betbeze and Glenn’s efforts ensured that Penn was well represented in the Big 5 awards. They also ensured that the Quakers were well represented in the win column.