screenshot_5

This year's Fling theme will be "Alice in Wonderland."

Credit: Courtesy of Christopher Kao

Between Kesha's early announcement and bots infiltrating floor pass flash sales, this year’s Spring Fling is already becoming curiouser and curiouser. 

This year’s Spring Fling theme will be "Alice in Wonderland," the Social Planning and Events Committee announced on Friday. SPEC plans to make the theme more integral to the Spring Fling experience this year, breaking away from its background role of years past.

“Last year the theme was ‘Peace, Love and Fling’ and we did some things for it, but we didn’t do a good job of making it obvious and marketing what we did,” Wharton senior and Spring Fling co-director George Li said. “We are trying to make it a lot more noticeable what the theme is.”

Plans to incorporate the theme include decorating the Quadrangle during Fling and serving themed food during the carnival.

“We really want people to feel like they are stepping into a wonderland when they walk in [the Quad],” he said.

SPEC released the theme with a video this year in order to spread the word and encourage students to become more involved than in past years.

“In past years, SPEC has had themes for Spring Fling, but when I talked to upperclassmen, no one ever knew what the themes were,” Engineering freshman and director of the video Christopher Kao said. “What better way than a video that gets people hyped for the actual event?”

He added that based off of the social media activity on the Fling theme release page, he predicts that SPEC will create a much broader awareness of the theme this year than in years past.

Fling themes of the past have included “Viva la Fling” in 2011, “License to fling” in 2007 and “Fling me baby one more time” in 2000. 

This year’s Fling theme will be complemented by a SPEC event leading up to the weekend: Spring Fest. The event will take place on April 10 from 3-5 p.m. on High Rise field and will include tea-party themed food, music and mini golf, with the chance for students to win Uber credit.