The spring has returned, and with it, so has Penn rowing.

This weekend, all three of the Penn crews are heading their separate ways for early meets which are critical for setting the tone for the season. Following the long weeks of fall and winter training, the spring racing season is where all the hard work is put to the final test, and the Red and the Blue are ready to take it on with full force.

The heavyweight crew, under the watchful eyes of coach Greg Myhr, is heading all the way to sunny California to race in the San Diego Crew Classic on Saturday and Sunday. After a lighter season opener last weekend — where the crew was able to hold on to the McCausland Cup after overcoming George Washington University in home waters — the crew will bring two varsity boats across the country to row it out with some of the top crews in the nation.

To Myhr, the value of a strong early season cannot be overstated, especially considering the demanding schedule the heavyweights have this season. The crew will race seven weekends in a row, which presents a taxing challenge that gives little breathing room.

“In some respects it is the most important part of the season,” Myhr said, emphasizing the positive psychological effect of emerging strong from winter training.

Myhr and the rowers that will embark for the West Coast on Thursday evening will have to take on not only the likes of home rivals Navy, but also California powerhouses like Stanford and, even more daunting, California.

“Cal is probably ranked between first and third in the country,” Myhr continued, keenly aware of the momentous challenge that lies ahead.

The challenge does not end there. Next week, the crew will host Northeastern, only a few days after returning home from San Diego.

Luckily, Myhr has cause for optimism.

“This is probably the strongest crew I have had in six years,” he said.

On Saturday and Sunday, that crew will have to show what it is capable of.

“I think we’re ready,” the coach concluded.

Another crew ready for the spring season are the lightweights. While not going to California, the Quakers will be hoping to see some sun on the Schuylkill River this weekend as they will host the Mercyhurst crew for its season opener.

While Mercyhurst will not be one of the big races of the season, coach Colin Farrell stresses its role as an early opportunity to assess the crew’s performance to make adjustments.

In contrast to the heavyweights in California, who will only be racing two boats, the lightweights will get to race three varsity eights, a freshman eight as well as a four boat in three separate races, making the weekend an ample opportunity for practice on a broad level.

“We need these races to help us get to top form,” Farrell said.

He too is satisfied with the winter training and is optimistic about their prospects this weekend and onwards.

“In the next couple of weeks, the hope would be that we would start to develop some areas where we could take some more risks,” he added.

A grander challenge is just around the corner, as the lightweights will take on Cornell and Harvard next weekend for the Matthews and Leonard Cups, once again at home on the Schuylkill River.

“It will be a great test,” Farrell said.

As for the women’s crew, they will be heading to New York to take on Columbia and Yale for an annual race. Last year, the Red and Blue finished second behind Yale, a result they are hoping to surpass this weekend.