03252015_cornerbakerygrandopeningguy82
Corner Bakery Grand Opening Credit: Guyrandy Jean-GIlles , Guyrandy Jean-GIlles

One hundred residents and students of University City will receive free coffee for a year on Wednesday morning.

The Corner Bakery Cafe is opening a new store on 38th and Market streets this Wednesday. The first hundred guests to go to the opening will receive free daily refills of hand-roasted coffee for the year. The cafe will hold a drawing after the first week to award one winner with a free grilled panini for the year. Doors will be opening at 6:30 a.m. and the ribbon cutting ceremony will be at 9 a.m.

“The location was a strategic move as we definitely wanted it to be where students would have a casual and relaxed atmosphere to do homework,” said Carinthea Harris, the account manager and public relations associate for the cafe.

Corner Bakery Cafe serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Food can be ordered straight to your table with a price range of $0.99 to $8.99. The cafe is also known for catering for almost any occasion.

There is already a nearby Corner Bakery Cafe location on 17th Street and John F. Kennedy Boulevard. Yet this new location may attract a lot more customers as it is near the new 3737 Science Center building. And the Corner Bakery Cafe expects good business.

“We are expecting to go through the first 100 people by 7 a.m.,” Harris said. “This is going to be a place where residents and students alike will hopefully feel comfortable to gather and reach out.”

While this cafe may have a big impact on the University City ambiance in general, it is unclear if this will have an effect on Penn students in particular.

“I think it’ll be a fine addition to campus. It’s sort of like Cosi, but with more options like pasta,” College freshman Elizabeth Heit said. “I don’t know if people will venture past the Sansom Street bubble for it as it’s no Distrito.”

Other students expressed more optimism. “I’m happy there’s now one so convenient and close. At home in Boca I go all the time for the baked goods,” Nursing freshman Sophia Lukes said.