bagnoli2

Former Penn football coach Al Bagnoli was officially introduced as head coach of Columbia's football program at a press conference in New York on Tuesday.

Credit: Courtesy of Micayla Lubka

Columbia's hiring of long-time Penn football coach Al Bagnoli to be its new head football coach sent shock waves through Penn Athletics, but it also came with strong support at Columbia.

New Columbia Athletic Director Peter Pilling announced Bagnoli as his new coach two weeks ago and the Columbia Spectator caught up with alums to weigh in on the hiring.

2013 Columbia grad and quarterback Sean Brackett was positive that Bagnoli could turn things around for the Lions' lackluster program, which hasn't won a game since 2012.

“Whenever you play a team coached by Bagnoli, you know they’re going to be smart, tough, both physically and mentally," Brackett said to the Spectator. "They’re always competitive from the first quarter to the fourth quarter. They’re always going to have those guys ready to play."

Marcellus Wiley, who graduated from Columbia in 1997 and went on to be an All-Pro defensive lineman in the NFL, was similarly confident, believing there could be a quick turnaround.

“We have set the stage to do something bigger than normal,” Wiley said to the Spectator. “And it’s time to make it work.”

Bagnoli still has a lot of work to do, which other alums spoke about, as the former Penn coach has barriers to being able to recruit right away. 

For the full story, check out the Columbia Spectator.