Stanford, like many other schools, has recently come under criticism for "inadequately" protecting the rights of those accused of sexual assault, as happened in the case of Ellie Clougherty and Joe Lonsdale.

Clougherty and Lonsdale met when he became her mentor.The two began a relationship during which he took her on various business trips around the world, an experience she saw as a learning opportunity. 

After returning from vacation in Rome, the relationship began to change. Though they had sex while on vacation, Cloughterty decided she did not want to continue having sex with Lonsdale or spending nights at his place, but both things continued to happen anyway. Lonsdale, on the other hand, claimed he was confused as to what Clogherty wanted, as she would go back and forth between being "eager to engage sexually" and making Lonsdale feel as if he was trying to force himself on her. 

In March of the following year, after breaking up with Lonsdale, Clougherty saw a counselor and began therapy sessions where she disclosed Lonsdale had raped her, a claim he denies. 

In May of 2013, Cloughtery and her family asked Stanford to look into "Lonsdale's conduct." It was at this time that the movement against sexual assault on college campuses was gaining traction throughout the country. The school found that Lonsdale had violated the rule against relationships between mentors and students and that he would be prohibited from mentoring for 10 years. Following further investigations, Stanford found that Lonsdale had "engaged in sexual misconduct" while with Clougherty and he was "banned from campus for any purpose."

Critics argue that schools are now trying to "overcompens[ate] for past mistreatment of victims" by unfairly applying legal procedures against the accused parties.

"Everyone believes the woman," Lonsdale said.  

Read the full article at NY Times Magazine.