43799_31968_wsqtan0111_copyff

Courtesy of Penn Athletics

Credit: Hunter Martin

It was an action-packed weekend on the road for Penn squash, as the women’s team swept Yale and Brown while the men’s team split against the two schools.

The No. 2 women’s squad beat No. 4 Yale 6-3 on Saturday before topping No. 11 Brown 8-1 on Sunday.

The Quakers (11-1, 5-0 Ivy) were led by junior Yan Xin Tan, who earned a clean 3-0 victory over her opponent in the match against Yale (8-3, 2-2) and repeated the feat against Brown (5-5, 0-4). Penn won each of its matches against the Bears — losing a point on default in the seventh slot — and has now won four straight after a close loss to No. 1 Trinity on Jan. 14 — its only blemish preventing a top national ranking.

Meanwhile, the No. 10 men’s squad lost, 7-2, to No. 4 Yale (8-3, 3-1) on Saturday before bouncing back to shutout No. 13 Brown in a 9-0 romp on Sunday.

The Red and Blue (7-5, 2-3) lost only one game as a team against the Bears (5-5, 0-4), as freshman Marwan Mahmoud won in the top spot while the other eight Quakers cruised to 3-0 triumphs. The win was Penn’s third shutout of the season.

This coming weekend will be crucial for both teams, as they look to wrap up their regular season action with home matches against Cornell and road battles with Columbia.

The men will look to put on an impressive showing and jump into the top half of the Ancient Eight. Nationwide, the men will need to be in the top eight to qualify for the CSA men’s national championships at Trinity.

The women’s squad appears to be locked in for a bid to the CSA women’s national championships at Harvard, but with an Ivy title (and an undefeated Ivy campaign) hanging in the balance, the stakes will certainly be high this weekend.

The women’s team championships will be played from Feb. 13 to 15, while the men’s event will take place from Feb. 20 to 22. The individual championships on both sides will be held from Feb. 27 to Mar. 1 at Princeton.