lemonick

A Penn football star and assistant coach in the 1950s, Bernie Lemonick passed away on Friday morning.

Credit: Courtesy of Penn Athletics

Bernie Lemonick, one of the most illustrious players in Penn football history and an assistant coach with the program throughout the late 1950s, has died. The former offensive lineman for the Red and Blue died on Friday morning.

Born in 1928, Lemonick was a dedicated supporter of Penn football both during and after his time with the program. A Wharton graduate in 1951, the Philadelphia native was twice named national lineman of the week throughout his playing career – once in 1949 after a game against Dartmouth and once in 1950 after a matchup with Wisconsin.

Following his senior season with the Quakers, Lemonick was honored in various ways, including being named second-team United Press All-American and Grantland Rice All-America Honorable Mention. He played in both the Hula Bowl and the East-West Shrine Game before being drafted by the New York Giants in the 21st round of the 1951 NFL Draft.

Although Lemonick never played in the NFL, he stayed in Philadelphia and began coaching. Before returning to Franklin Field to serve as an assistant coach for the Red and Blue in 1955, Lemonick was a line coach at Saint Joseph’s Prep beginning in 1951.

Lemonick’s contributions to Penn football as an assistant mirror those from his playing career. A line coach under head coach Steve Sebo, Lemonick was on the sidelines when the Quakers clinched their first Ivy League title in 1959.

“We are incredibly saddened by the loss of such an iconic member of the Penn football family,” said current Penn football coach Ray Priore. “Bernie had illustrious careers both as a player and coach, and continued his unparalleled support of Penn football as an alum.”

Lemonick was part of Penn Athletics’ initial Hall of Fame class in 1996 and was named to the Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame. He also served as Chairman of the University of Pennsylvania/Cornell University Trustees Cup annual awards dinner, a ceremony that recognizes the winner of the annual rivalry game between the two programs.

“Bernie will forever be remembered as someone who lived and breathed the Red and Blue, and we could not be more thankful for that,” Priore said. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Lemonick family at this time.”