41272_usciencesf

When students from the University of the Sciences returned to their campus for the spring semester earlier this week, they found their school with a change of leadership.

President Helen Giles-Gee announced she was stepping down from her post at the helm of the private university located just southwest of Penn’s campus on Dec. 23, with her resignation effective on Dec. 31. She had served as president since July 2012.

Marvin Samson, chairman of USciences’ Board of Trustees is now serving as the school’s interim president.

“At this time and after serious reflection, I have decided to leave University of the Sciences. I am honored to have served as president and will hold this University dear in my heart,” Giles-Gee said in her resignation announcement. While no explanation for her swift departure was provided, a university spokesperson told The Daily Pennsylvanian that Giles-Gee resigned due to “personal reasons.”

Giles-Gee, who was both the first black president and first female president of USciences, had previously served as the president of Keene State College in New Hampshire from 2005 to 2012. She is a 1972 graduate of the College and received a master’s degree in science education from Penn in 1973 and a Ph.D. in measurement, evaluation and techniques of experimental research from Penn in 1983.

Samson, for whom the school’s Samson College of Health Sciences is named, told the DP in an email that he will serve as USciences’ interim president “until the board of trustees can solidify a presidential transition plan.” He previously served as the interim president of the school for the 2011-12 academic year, prior to Giles-Gee’s appointment. He has lead many pharmaceutical companies, including Samson Medical Technologies, which he founded in 1998.

“I have already had the opportunity to meet with many individuals from the USciences community and expect there will be no disruption in the day-to-day operations nor the many ongoing campus initiatives such as the development of a strategic plan and a campus master plan,” Samson said. “The University has a strong senior leadership team in place and those individuals have the full support of the board of trustees.”