After voting for a new governor in November, Philadelphians will soon have the opportunity to select their new mayor.

Although the Democratic primary — which is important in Philadelphia, where Democrats usually win the general election — remains six months away, candidates to replace Mayor Michael Nutter are already beginning to emerge.

Most recently, State Senator Anthony Williams (D-Philadelphia) declared his candidacy on Nov. 20 and former Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham declared her candidacy on Nov. 19.

While some high profile Philadelphia politicians have not declared their candidacy — such as City Council President Darrell Clarke — some lesser-known candidates have emerged as legitimate contenders, including former City Solicitor and Penn Law adjunct professor Ken Trujillo and former Philadelphia Redevelopment Authority Executive Director and Penn Law alumnus Terry Gillen .

Similar to the Pennsylvania gubernatorial election, candidates have continuously stressed the importance of education reform.

“If you want a leader who will transform Philadelphia under the banner of reform, who has the experience to get things done, the grit, the desire and the courage to break some china along the way and turn Philadelphia into a great American city, I am your candidate,” Abraham said at her campaign kickoff at the Franklin Institute on Nov. 19. “I will spend every resource at my command to fight for fairness in school funding, including lobbying the state for proper legislation and joining in litigation or doing whatever we have to do to get appropriate funding for our children.”

While there is no clear frontrunner, many view Abraham as one of the strongest candidates, according to her own poll. If elected, she would be Philadelphia’s first female mayor.

According to a survey of 600 likely voters commissioned by Abraham’s campaign, she leads the Democratic candidates with 31 percent of the vote. Clarke, who has not declared his candidacy, came in second with 19 percent. Regardless, the survey also illustrates that the race remains wide open: 36 percent of those polled said they were undecided.

Although all candidates have worked in Philadelphia government, they have all stressed the need for change and a new direction for Philadelphia.

“Most Philadelphians I speak to want a new direction,” Trujillo said at his campaign kickoff on Sept. 17 at the School District of Philadelphia’s Education Center. “Most Philadelphians understand the status quo just won’t work for our children. As Mayor, I am going to lead a fight to take back our schools.”