jz6685b3
Police chief Charles Ramsey speaks at an event sponsored by Fox Leadership Friday afternoon. Credit: Rachel Baye

Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles H. Ramsey will co-chair a presidential task force on police-community relations, the White House announced on Monday.

In response to recent events — including the shooting of Michael Brown by officer Darren Wilson in Ferguson, Mo., which sparked protests around the country — the White House has created the Task Force on 21st Century Policing to research and examine how to effectively reduce crime while building public trust.

Ramsey will co-chair the task force with former Assistant Attorney General and George Mason University professor Laurie Robinson. Besides serving as the Philadelphia Police Commissioner, Ramsey is also president of the Major Cities Chiefs Police Association and the Police Executive Research Forum, which is a think tank for policing strategies.

Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush, who works with Ramsey on the executive board of the Philadelphia Police Foundation, said “Commissioner Ramsey is a well respected leader in the police community. I think he is the best candidate for this position.”