Near the end of my sophomore year, I had a few choices to make regarding housing. Do I move off campus? Or do I stay in the dorms for another year?

It was during this process that my resident advisor approached me about becoming an RA. They thought that I would be a good fit for the position, so we talked a little about the responsibilities and perks.

They went over these quickly. I would be responsible for planning monthly programming, resolving disputes, weekly front desk shifts and RA meetings. The benefits were a stipend, a room to yourself, experience and free rent.

With that last one I was sold.

After writing a few essays, successfully interviewing and going through training, I was officially an RA. Yet what did that actually entail?

To be honest, it was a challenging, but overall rewarding venture. While I wouldn’t encourage everyone to be an RA, I would definitely recommend looking to see if you think it would be a good fit for yourself.

Here are some things my RA didn’t really cover that I think are worth mentioning and taking into consideration.

Much like a medical professional, you are always on call. Just spent Friday night at a great mixer and are now climbing into bed at 4 a.m.? Well, you will be expected to answer that door knock from a resident at 7 a.m.

Programming doesn’t have to take much time or be complicated. Go with what you’re good at. I’ve been cooking most of my life, so I held a monthly workshop-social on “cooking for college.” Everyone loves free food, and in the process learned how to cook simple, nutritional meals.

At times you will feel like a glorified babysitter. You will wonder if your residents are truly that childish, and then you will reflect back and wonder what kind of resident you were.

Other times you will be the voice that calls someone back from the brink, and nothing you will accomplish in your academic career will make you more proud than knowing you saved a life.

When my time as an RA was over, I was thrilled at being able to have a social life again, yet at the same time, I felt a sense of loss. For the past year, I had been shaping the lives of my residents. I resolved disputes, helped them figure out schedules, assisted with homework and was there when they needed someone to talk to. Now, like a parent, I was releasing them into the world.

The experience I gained is somewhat difficult to quantify. Sure, now I was able to add a few skills to my LinkedIn profile: leadership, event facilitation, conflict management and counseling. However, it’s the intangibles that define my experience. The connections with people, the sense of accomplishment and the feeling that I can take on any challenge and succeed — these are things I will remember the most.

If you’re up to the challenge, if you’re looking for that next venture that will set you apart from your peers, if you genuinely want to help others succeed — then I say contact the Office of College Houses and Academic Services and inquire about becoming an RA.