10282014_jaredbernsteinkonheechang019
Sprint Football vs. Army Credit: Sam Sherman , Sam Sherman

If there’s one thing for students to take away from Penn’s annual Political Action Week, it’s to get involved early and often.

Andrew Shapiro, a 1989 College graduate and former assistant secretary of state for political-military affairs in the Obama administration, delivered the keynote address of Political Action Week, arguing for the importance of political engagement.

“In today’s extremely polarized world, it is very easy to be dismissive of those who engage in the process, but people need to engage in the process if it is going to get better,” said Shapiro, who also worked for Al Gore’s presidential campaign and as a foreign policy advisor for Hilary Clinton when she was in the Senate.

“Do not be deterred by the incredibly low rankings of politicians these days, because people need to be involved in order to make a difference,” Shapiro added.

political groups on campus, co-hosted the event with Penn in Washington. This marks Penn’s second annual Political Action Week .

hosted former White House Economic Adviser Jared Bernstein. Also on Tuesday, the College Republicans and Penn Political Review hosted Congressman Jon Runyan (R-N.J.), a former NFL player .

“This really shows the full diversity and range of the political spectrum here at Penn. And I think it also pulls in people who aren’t necessarily politically leaning to realize how big the effect politics has on their life.”

Going forward, Penn Political Coalition wants to stress the advice given by Shapiro.

and Penn Political Coalition’s Vice Chair of Membership Ezra Kurtz. “There are lots of opportunities for people our age, and if you want to start building a network, no one is going to stop you. The only limitation is yourself.”