Award-winning ramen restaurant opens in food court

updatednomnomramen3

NomNom Ramen New Location - CVS Food Court

Photo by Yolanda Chen

Nom Nom Ramen, a popular Philadelphia Japanese restaurant, opened a new location on Aug. 19 in the food court at 34th and Walnut streets. The restaurant replaced the Famous Citta Pizzeria, which closed earlier this year.

In 2012, Nom Nom Ramen opened its first location at 20 S. 18th St. in Center City. The campus location will be eatery’s second location.

Philadelphia Magazine dubbed Nom Nom Ramen’s ramen the best in Philadelphia in 2012 and hailed it as the best Japanese restaurant in the city in 2013.

“We take pride in making our authentic Hakata-style ramen with custom-made noodles, fresh ingredients, house-made chasu pork belly, pork cheek and our tonkotsu soup that involves a three day process,” owner Alan Su said.

The restaurant currently serves three different types of ramen, which can all be modified, for roughly $10 — depending on the size of the dish — and offers vegetarian options.

In addition to ramen, the restaurant also has various appetizer choices such as spicy edamame and pork buns.

This location also features a new menu item, called Yuki-Gori — a Japanese dessert that tastes like ice cream and shaved ice — which is exclusive to the campus location.

The restaurant is presently in its soft opening phase. As of now, the restaurant does not open until 12 p.m. and is only accepting cash for payment. A fully operational restaurant is expected sometime in September, as well as a full menu.

Discussion